Vintage Tape Echo
Outer Space is a faithful emulation plugin of a famous vintage tape echo made in the early seventies.
As the original unit, Outer Space features a tape echo section with three playback heads and a spring reverb tank.
We have modelled three different tape frequency responses and saturations, along with all the analog imperfections of tape recording/playback.
We have also modelled the ballistic response of the delay rate (repeat rate) which can create eerie pitch shifts (due to the Doppler effect), one of the classic tape echo-based sound effects.
Introduced in 1974, the Roland Space Echo RE-201 was an instant hit among engineers, guitar players, and dub pioneers.
A real analog system providing both tape echo and spring reverb for a rich and organic sound.
- Volume/Pan for each Head
- Low/Hi Cut for Feedback Section
- Ducking control
- Pre-Emphasis Filter
- Rate Ballistic control
- Variable Speed (± 50 ms)
- Preamp switch
- and more!
You can show/hide the drop-down panel by clicking on the arrow icon in the bottom left corner of the interface.
We’ve modelled three different tape types.
The original RT-1L, a more modern replacement, and an older worn out tape. Each tape will affect the sound in a subtle but different way, especially at higher feedback (Intensity) settings.
WOW/Flutter, Ducking, and other parameters will also change according to the selected tape, creating different amount of pitch and volume changes.
Changing the speed of the repetitions (Repeat Rate) will also affect the tape frequency response.
Just like the original unit, with the Mode selector you can choose 12 different combinations of echo playback heads and reverb:
- 4 Echo only
- 7 Echo+Reverb
- 1 Reverb only
“The definitive RE-201 emulation.”
Reverb.com. Reverb.com is the online marketplace for musicians.
“An amazing tape delay emulation that demands to be tried – and, at this crazy price, almost certainly bought– by any producer or guitarist – 10/10”
Computer Music Magazine. The world’s best selling magazine dedicated to making great music with your Mac or PC.
“AudioThing once again proves that excellent-sounding plug-ins don’t need to be expensive – 6/6”
Beat Magazine. German specialist magazine for music, production, and DJing.
“Outer Space is a must have – bringing your creativity to a new level. Being a mixer, the importance of having a collection of plugins and analog gear at my disposal is paramount.”
Matthew Sims. Audio Engineer / Producer who has worked with artists Pusha T, Usher, Frank Ocean, J Cole, Bon Jovi, Kai, Jennifer Lopez, Pentatonix, Lewis Hamilton, Craig David, Elle King, Post Malone, Lauryn Hill, Mike Posner, Keith Richards and more.
- Vintage Tape Echo
- 3 Tape modes: Original, Modern, Old
- Spring Reverb (with short/long Decay)
- Background Noise with Envelope
- Oversample up to 16x
- Resizable Window
- Preset system with randomizer
Windows XP SP2, 7, 8, 10 (32/64 bit)
Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon 64 X2, 4 GB RAM
VST2, VST3, or AAX, 32-bit or 64-bit host
OS X 10.7 – macOS 10.13
Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM
VST2, VST3, AU, or AAX, 32-bit or 64-bit host
– Improved: All additional controls are now available in a dropdown panel
– Improved: CPU performance on both Echo and Reverb sections
– Added: Global option to switch Echo and Reverb Volume parameters curve (linear or audio taper)
– Added: VST3 plugin format
– Added: 10 New Presets
– Fixed: MAC with High Sierra (APFS) presets scrambled
– Fixed: Wet Only Lock bug
– Fixed: Minor graphic glitches
– Added: Meter selector + Gain (input/output)
– Added: Volume/Pan for each head
– Added: Low/Hi Cut for feedback section
– Added: Ducking
– Added: Pre-Emphasis
– Added: Rate Ballistic
– Added: Variable Speed (+/- 50 ms)
– Added: Stereo Delay amount (in ms)
– Added: Noise Tone
– Added: Preamp switch
– Added: Preset Copy/Paste to/from Clipboard
– Added: Global option – Switch off the feedback loop clearing on playback
– Added: Global option – Resizable Window
– Added: 10 new presets
– Improved: Preamp section
– Improved: Noise Section
– Fixed: Synced values recall bug
– Fixed: Plugin scan bug on some 32bit host
– Added: Wet Only Lock function
– Fixed: Mode selector showing wrong value when automated
– Fixed: WaveLab issue with Synced presets
– Fixed: Pro Tools 12.7.1+ CPU bug
– Fixed: Bypass Automation CPU bug
– Added: Reverb DSP switches off when Reverb Volume is set to 0 (to save CPU)
– Fixed: Offline Rendering bug on some hosts
– Fixed: Feedback loop not clearing properly on some hosts
– Fixed: Dry leaking into Reverb section
– Fixed: GUI keyboard focus error (especially the Return key)
– Added: Delay now clears the feedback loop after playback restarts
– Added: Drop-down menu for synced values
– Added: You can now click on the Mode dial values to change mode
– Fixed: Pro Tools bug where Heads values were not recalling correctly on saved projects
– Fixed: Noise and Intensity Random Lock
– Added: Bypass button will clear the feedback loop
– Added: Loading presets will also clear the feedback loop
– Fixed: Oversampling bug in Wavelab 9
– Fixed: WOW/Flutter not working in Sync
– Fixed: Treble knob bug (was engaged even at 0)
– Fixed: Minor GUI issues
Outer Space is not affiliated with, sponsored, nor endorsed by Roland.