Type B is a plugin inspired by a famous vintage exciter effect.
The original unit was designed to add presence and brightness to vocal or instrument tracks. It was often used to enhance dull recordings where the high frequency content was missing due to tape overdubs.
Type B lets you control more aspects of the exciter circuit emulation, giving you access to the internal filter, the harmonic generator and more.
You can show/hide the drop-down panel by clicking on the arrow icon in the bottom left corner of the interface.
You’ll get access to:
- Filter controls: mode (pre/post), type (highpass, bandpass), slope (12/24dB), emphasis
- Additional options: direct signal, wet boost, and background noise
How Does It Work?
Exciters generate high-frequency content that is not part of the original signal using a combination of filtering and distortion (harmonic generator).
The input signal goes into a filter (usually highpass, but you can also choose bandpass with Type B) before feeding it into the harmonic generator. You have controls over the generated harmonics using the Color parameter. The signal is then mixed back with the dry signal.
Note: With Type B you also have an option to swap the filter position with the Harmonic Generator.
The original aural exciter algorithm was developed in the mid-1970s by Aphex Systems. At first, it was available to recording studios only to hire (at a cost of $30 per minute of finished recording time in 1975). Eventually, its popularity led to the release of commercially available models like the Type B and Type C.
Type B DEMO
Try Type B for free with some limitations: silence for 3 seconds every 45 seconds, saving disabled.
If you like it, you can purchase a license and then authorize the demo version.
macOSRequires macOS 10.9 or higher
AU, VST2, VST3, AAX (64bit only)
WindowsRequires Windows 7 or higher
VST2, VST3, AAX (64bit only)
- Vintage Exciter
- HP/BP Filter with Emphasis
- Adjustable Unit Noise
- Oversample up to 16x
- Resizable Window
- Preset system with randomizer
Windows 7, 8, 10
2GHz CPU, 4 GB RAM
VST2, VST3, or AAX (64-bit)
OS X 10.9 – macOS 11 Big Sur
2GHz CPU, 4 GB RAM
VST2, VST3, AU, or AAX (64-bit)
To activate your plugin you can choose between Online and Offline authorization.
Create an account, log in through the plugin to activate, or download your license file for offline activation.
Simple Activation1 license activates up to 3 computers
No iLokWe don't like dongles
No ConnectionNo connection required to activate
– Improved: GUI size and loading time
– Fixed: Activation issue on certain hosts
– Added: macOS 11 Big Sur support (Universal 2 Binary)
– Added: Light and Dark UI mode
– Added: Option to enable Accelerated GUI
– Added: Option to invert the Bypass LED colours
– Added: Internal support for left-hand mouse users
– Fixed: Minor graphic glitch
– Fixed: Oversample phase issues when Direct is On
Type B is not affiliated with, sponsored, nor endorsed by Aphex Systems / Aural Exciter.